Adolf Munkel Trail
The Adolf Munkel Trail is an easy loop trail that takes you to the foot of the Geisler (Odle) Peaks in the Dolomites. The trail begins at Zanser Alm (Malga Zannes) in Villnöß (Val di Funes) in South Tyrol. You can drive directly to the trailhead and park there for 5 EUR.
Zanser Alm (Malga Zannes) is a 2-hour drive from Bolzano and a 1.5-hour drive from Val Gardena. On your way to the trailhead, don’t forget to stop in St. Magdalena for a photo of the church: Chiesetta di San Giovanni in Ranui.
Planning a trip to the Dolomites? Read our Dolomites Travel Guide to find out where to go, what to experience, and what to eat. Also, check out our 8 Day Dolomites Itinerary for trip planning inspiration.
From Zanser Alm, the trail slowly ascends along a small stream with views of the Geisler Group. You’ll quickly understand why the Dolomites are also called the Pale Mountains. After hiking beneath these impressive peaks, the trail leads you to a high alpine pasture.
Cows, donkeys, and horses might greet you as you hike to the mountain hut Gschnagenhardt Alm (Malga Casnago), elevation 2,006 meters. Here, you can relax outside, order lunch, drink a beer, and interact with the animals.
From Gschnagenhardt Alm, you’ll hike through the forest and end up at Dusler Alm (Malga Dusler), where you’ll find another mountain hut. After passing through Dusler Alm, the trail descends to Zanser Alm (Malga Zannes).
This post links to products and services we love, which we may make a small commission from, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting our blog!! – Sabrina and Kati
Adolf Munkel Trail Map & Directions
- Start the hike at Zanser Alm (Malga Zannes).
- Take trail no. 6 towards Tschantschenon (Ciancenon) until you reach the bridge.
- Cross the bridge and follow the Adolf Munkel Trail no. 35.
- Take trail no. 36 to Gschnagenhardt Alm (Malga Casnago) and Geisleralm (Rifugio delle Odle). We recommend eating at Gschnagenhardt Alm.
- Continuing hiking trail no. 36 to Dusleralm (Malga Dusler). You’ll find another lovely mountain hut here offering refreshments and meals.
- Walk through Dusleralm and continue your descent in the direction of Zans (Zannes).
- When you reach the road, you’re about 10-15 minutes away from the parking area.
Adolf Munkel Hike Overview
Trail Name: Adolf Munkel Trail
Trail Numbers: 6, 35, 36
Nature Park: Naturpark Puez Geisler (Parco Naturale Puez Odle)
Italian Province: South Tyrol. Autonome Provinz Bozen – Südtirol (Provincia Autonoma di Bolzano – Alto Adige)
Starting Point: Zanser Alm (Malga Zannes) parking lot
Ending Point: Zanser Alm (Malga Zannes) parking lot
Points of Interest: Geisler (Odle) Peaks, Gschnagenhardt Alm (mountain hut), Dusler Alm (mountain hut)
Parking: 5 EUR
Hiking Time: 3 – 3.5 hrs
Distance: 8.8 km
Experience Level: Beginner
Where to Stay in Villnöß (Val di Funes)
Villnöß (Val di Funes) is an absolutely gorgeous valley in the Dolomites. We regret not staying a night, or two in this picture-perfect alpine paradise. Here are a few accommodations to consider:
Budget | Fallerhof is a great-value apartment-style accommodation with stunning views in Val di Funes. It’s walking distance to the Instagram-famous Chiesetta di San Giovanni in Ranui (church) and an 11-minute drive (or 1.5-hour walk) to the Adolf Munkel trail.
Mid-Range | Gasthof Stern is a cozy hotel in Val di Funes with an on-site restaurant and swimming pool. It’s a 23-minute drive from Gasthof Stern to the Adolf Munkel trailhead and a 12-minute drive to St. Maddalena.
Look for more accommodations in Val di Funes.
More Information for Your Trip to the Dolomites:
- Dolomites Travel Guide
- Where to Stay in the Dolomites in Summer
- Alta Badia Summer Guide
- Dolomites Road Trip Itinerary
- Hiking in the Dolomites in September
More Hikes in the Dolomites
- Best Day Hikes in the Dolomites
- Best Hikes in Val Gardena
- Resciesa to Seceda
- Seceda Ridgeline Day Hike
- Rifugio Stevia and Col dala Pieres Day Hike
- Tre Cime di Lavaredo Hike
- Lake Pisciadù Day Hike
- Rifugio Fanes Day Hike
- Armentara Meadows Day Hike
- Rifugio Puez Day Hike
- Seiser Alm to Tierser Alpl
Hut to Hut Hiking in the Dolomites:
More Information for Your Trip to Italy: