The hike across the Resciesa/Raschötz alpine plateau to Brogleshütte/Rifugio Brogles and over Furcela de Mesdi/Mittagsscharte to Seceda is a spectacular introduction to hiking in Puez-Odle Nature Park in the Italian Dolomites.
You’ll start this day hike in Ortisei in Val Gardena, ascending to Resciesa plateau via the Resciesa Funicular.
And, you’ll either end this hike by descending to Ortisei via the Seceda-Furnes-Ortisei cableways, or by descending to Selva di Val Gardena via the Col Raiser gondola.
This is easily one of the best hikes from Ortisei because you get to see the Odle/Geisler peaks from multiple angles and visit one of the most charming huts in Val di Funes.
Also, this is an exciting way to experience the Seceda Ridgeline. Instead of taking the Seceda-Furnes-Ortisei cableways up to Seceda from Ortisei as described in this post, you’ll approach the ridge from the other side: Val di Funes. It’s a more challenging hike, but it’s also a more interesting ascent route.
Important: There used to be an option to cross over the Odle/Geisler Group via the Forcella di Pana (Furcela Pana in Ladin, Panascharte in German). But, this route is still closed, due to a rockfall.
Resciesa – Rifugio Malga Brogles – Seceda Day Hike
Resciesa to Seceda
- Starting Point: Resciesa Mountain Station, Ortisei
- Ending Point: Seceda Mountain Station
- Distance: 13.8 km
- Time Needed: 5:20 hours
- Difficulty: Difficult
- Elevation Gain: 1049 meters
- Elevation Loss: 669 meters
- Route: Resciesa Funicular Mountain Station – Rifugio Brogles – Furcela de Mesdi – Malga Pieralongia – Seceda Mountain Station
Resciesa – Seceda – Col Raiser
- Starting Point: Resciesa Mountain Station, Ortisei
- Ending Point: Col Raiser Mountain Station
- Distance: 16.8 km
- Difficulty: Difficult
- Time Needed: 6:15 hours
- Elevation Gain: 1060 meters
- Elevation Loss: 1043 meters
- Route: Resciesa Funicular Mountain Station – Rifugio Brogles – Furcela de Mesdi – Malga Pieralongia – Seceda – Col Raiser Gondola Mountain Station
This post links to products and services we love, which we may make a small commission from, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting our blog!! – Sabrina and Kati
Resciesa to Seceda Hiking Map
When to Hike from Resciesa to Seceda
You can hike from Resciesa plateau to Seceda ridgeline from early June until mid-October, weather permitting. Because this hike requires cable car and funicular ascents and descents, time your visit accordingly.
Resciesa Funicular Railway
- Summer Schedule: Late May until mid-October.
- Hours of Operation: Operating times vary by month. Find out exact times on the Resciesa Funicular Website.
- Price: 15 EUR one-way
- Resciesa Funicular Address: 14 Via Resciesa Ortisei Val Gardena
The Ortisei – Furnes – Seceda Cableways
- Summer Schedule: Late May until mid-October. Find out exact dates on the Seceda Cableway Website.
- Hours of Operation: 8:30 am until 5:30 pm
- Price: 25 EUR one-way down for adults / 12.50 EUR one-way down for juniors
- Seceda Cableway Valley Station Address: Val d’Anna str. 2 Ortisei Val Gardena
Col Raiser Cable Car
- Summer Schedule: Late May until mid-October. Find out exact dates on the Col Raiser Cable Car Website.
- Hours of Operation: 8:30 am until 5 – 5:30 pm, depending on the month
- Price: 14.50 EUR one-way for adults / 10 EUR one-way for juniors
- Col Raiser Valley Station Address: Str. Raiser 65 39048 Selva Val Gardena
Getting to the Trailhead
This hike begins at the Resciesa Funicular top station. The Resciesa Funicular (Funicolare Resciesa) valley station is in Ortisei in Val Gardena.
Funicolare Resciesa Address: 14 Via Resciesa Ortisei Val Gardena
Also Read: Best Hikes in Val Gardena
Resciesa – Furcela de Mesdi – Seceda Trail Description
Resciesa Funicular Top Station to Rifugio Brogles (1:25 hours)
From the Resciesa Funicular (Standseilbahn Raschötz, Funicolare Resciesa) mountain station follow signs to Rifugio Malga Brogles/Brogles Hütte, signed 1 hour 20 minutes. In the morning, Sassolungo/Langkofel prominently rises above all else, emerging from a sea of clouds.
You’ll cross the Resciesa Alp on a panoramic path in the direction of Val di Funes/Villnösstal. This path unfolds beautifully as you near the prominent Geisler Peaks. There are no significant ascents or descents.
Rifugio Brogles is located on an alpine pasture, surrounded by grazing cows. This is an ideal location for lunch. Service is on the slower side, but with those views, who cares.
Rifugio Brogles to Furcela de Mesdi (2:20 hours)
Continue on trail 35 along the Adolf Munkel Trail for 2 kilometers.
After about 30 minutes, turn right onto trail 29 and ascend to Furcela De Mesdi/Mittagsscharte.
It’s a tough 710-meter ascent to the saddle, followed by a 280-meter descent.
Furcela de Mesdi – Pieralongia – Furcela Pana (1:25 horus)
After descending from the saddle, follow signs to Pieralongia and Seceda.
Furcela Pana to Seceda (15 minutes)
After passing the Pieralongia alpine pasture, continue to Forcella di Pana and the Seceda Ridgeline.
This perspective of the Fermeda peaks is breathtaking. Though it has been captured millions of times, it never gets old. Enjoy!
Seceda to Col Raiser Mountain Station (55 minutes)
Some of you will head down to Ortisei via the Seceda cableways.
For those continuing to Col Raiser gondola mountain station, follow trail 2 for 3.1 km (370 m descending). The descent is gentle as you wind through beautiful pastureland, taking in the views of mighty Sassolungo/Langkofel and Sella.
Where to Stay in Val Gardena
We recommend staying in Ortisei, Selva di Val Gardena, or in Santa Cristina for this hike. Here are some great hotel options in Val Gardena.
Midrange | Hotel Garni Walter is a top-rated, family-run accommodation in Ortisei. Guests love the generous breakfast buffet, the views, the location, and the overall cleanliness. It’s a 5-minute walk to the Ortisei village center.
Budget | B&B Lavi Ortisei val Gardena is a clean and comfortable bed and breakfast managed by a very friendly host. The B&B is situated outside of the town center, though within walking distance (~15 minutes).
Midrange | Casa al Sole is a newly renovated bed and breakfast in the center of Ortisei, only a short walk from the Seceda cableway and the Resciesa funicular. Highlights of staying here include the modern minimal interiors, comfortable bedrooms, warm hospitality, and delicious and plentiful breakfast. At Casa al Sole, Alexandra and Manuel host with great care and enthusiasm, and are always available to offer advice and help make dinner reservations.
Midrange | Chalet Hotel Hartmann is a charming adults-only hotel featuring tastefully furnished alpine interiors, a delicious breakfast buffet, a complimentary afternoon snack, and a spa area (bio-sauna, steam bath and solarium). This is an ideal accommodation for couples and anyone traveling without children. It’s a 20-minute walk to reach the town center.
Luxury | Perched high above Ortisei, the newly-renovated La Cort My Dollhouse – Adults Only hotel offers 26 stylish rooms, a rooftop spa and pool, and fabulous views. Given its location, we only recommend staying here if you’re traveling by car. La Cort is a great choice for travelers who want more flexibility during their visit (no rigid eating times, etc..). Breakfast (7:30 am – 11 am) and Linner (4 pm – 7 pm) are included in the rate.
Luxury Apartments | Gran Tubla offers two-bedroom apartments with fully-equipped kitchens and sweeping views of Val Gardena. Guests also have access to a heated indoor-outdoor pool, sauna, and garden. Breakfast can be delivered to your room upon request.
Luxury | Hotel Angelo Engel is situated directly in the village center of Ortisei, walking distance to the Ortisei-Furnes-Seceda cableway. We loved the central location, the courteous staff, the wellness and sauna area, and our spacious room.
Selva di Val Gardena
Luxury | The charming Hotel Rodella occupies a peaceful location above Selva di Val Gardena. From the hotel garden, terrace, and outdoor pool, guests can enjoy life-affirming views of Sassolungo/Langkofel Group and the Sella Group, towering above Selva. The spa area is brand new and absolutely stunning. Hotel Rodella is only a 10-minute walk to the Col Raiser gondola valley station.
Budget | Smart Hotel Saslong is a no-frills hotel in Santa Cristina featuring modern, minimalist interiors decorated in local wood. Guests have access to a self-service bar, free parking (indoor and outdoor), and on-site restaurant serving local cuisine. This is a perfect place to stay if you’re traveling with friends. Book breakfast!
Midrange | Charme Hotel Uridl is a family-run hotel set in a mountain chalet dating back to the 17th century. Stay here for the cozy and quaint atmosphere and delicious breakfast buffets and dinners.
Luxury | Dorfhotel Beludei is the finest hotel in Santa Cristina. With inspiring mountain views, gorgeous alpine-style rooms, hiking trails right on the doorstep, and a chef that puts ingenious and creative riffs on regional cuisine, this darling hotel is quite the Dolomites dream. Breakfast, an afternoon snack, and dinner are included in the rate. When I say this is the best place to stay and eat in Val Gardena, I mean this is THE BEST PLACE TO STAY AND EAT IN VAL GARDENA. Learn more: Best Hotels in the Dolomites.
Read Next: Where to Stay in the Dolomites in Summer
Dolomites Hiking Essentials
- Hiking Backpack: Osprey Tempest 30 Women’s Backpack / Osprey Talon 33 Men’s Backpack
- Grade B/C high-cut hiking boots: Meindl Schuhe Island Lady (Kati’s Boots), Women’s Hanwag Tatra II GTX (Sabrina’s Boots), Men’s Hanwag Tatra II GTX (men’s equivalent)
- Hiking Poles: Black Diamond Trail Trekking Poles
- Polarized, CAT 4 Sunglasses: Julbo Shield Mountain Sunglasses
- Camera Body: Sony Alpha a6400
- Mid-range Zoom Lens: Sony Vario-Tessar 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS ZEISS
- Wide angle Zoom Lens: Sony – E 10-18mm F4 OSS Wide-angle Zoom Lens
- Backpack Camera Clip: Peak Design Camera Clip
Trail Map & Guidebook
- Tabacco 05 Val Gardena – Alpe di Siusi
- Cicerone Guide: Shorter Walks in the Dolomites
If you thought this post was helpful, follow us on Instagram @moonhoneytravelers
- Best Hikes in Val Gardena
- Seceda Ridgeline Day Hike
- Rifugio Stevia and Col dala Pieres Day Hike
- Monte Pic
Plan your trip to the Dolomites:
- Dolomites Travel Guide
- Best Things to Do in the Dolomites
- Best Places to Visit in the Dolomites
- 7-Day Dolomites Road Trip Itinerary
- Best Day Hikes in the Dolomites
- When to Visit the Dolomites
Where to Stay in the Dolomites:
Our Favorite Destinations in the Dolomites: