Slovenian Mountains Hiking Guide
Hiking in the Slovenian Alps is like walking into a living-breathing fairy tale. Each step pampers you with magical landscapes and storybook scenes that look like a mirage materializing before your very eyes. It’s a continuous visual feast composed of emerald-colored lakes, roaming ibex, and fields of Edelweiss.
The Slovenian Alps are made up of three mountain ranges: the Julian Alps, the Kamnik-Savinja Alps, and the Karawanks. This guide will introduce you to the most enchanting hiking destinations in these mountain ranges, with tips on specific hiking trails and places to stay.
Slovenian Alps Hiking Gear
Slovenia has tons of heart-pounding trails, which require sure-footedness, a head for heights, and proper gear. If you want to hike hut-to-hut or tackle some challenging peak summits, we recommend the following gear:
- Climbing Helmet like his women’s helmet and this men’s helmet. In the Slovenian mountains, there’s always a danger of rockfall.
- Climbing Gloves like these black diamond half-finger gloves
- Sturdy Grade B/C Hiking Shoes – like the women’s Hanwag Tatra II GTX / Meindl Schuhe Island Lady (what Kati and I wear) or the men’s Hanwag Tatra II GTX.
- Hiking Poles like these Black Diamond trail poles.
- CAT 4 Sunglasses: Julbo Shield Mountain Sunglasses
Waymarks in the Slovenian Alps
Hiking trails are marked with the red Knafeljc waymark, which is a red circle with a white center. Trail markings are generally well-maintained and easy to follow.
In this guide, you’ll find lots of hiking trail options. But, trail conditions can always change. Please check this website for up-to-date information on trail closures.