The mountain hut is located on the Passo Alpe di Tires/Tierser Alpljoch mountain pass, between the Sciliar/Schlern Group and the Rosengarten/Catinaccio Group.
We’ve visited this hut three times because we love Tierser Alpl’s location and South Tyrolean cuisine.
In this post, we’re going to outline the fastest approach to Rifugio Alpe di Tires, which starts in Compaccio/Compatsch on Alpe di Siusi/Seiser Alm plateau. You can easily do this as a day hike.
If you want to approach Rifugio Alpe di Tires from the Sciliar/Schlern plateau, read this Rifugio Bolzano – Rifugio Alpe di Tires trail guide.
If you want to overnight in this mountain hut (highly recommended), check out our 3-day Catinaccio/Rosengarten Dolomites trek.
Alpe di Siusi to Rifugio Alpe di Tires Hiking Guide
- Starting Point: Siusi allo Sciliar/Seis am Schlern
- Cableway Ascent: Alpe di Siusi Aerial Cableway
- Trailhead: Compaccio/Compatsch (1850 m)
- Distance: 7.21 km one-way
- Time Needed: 2:30 – 3:00 hours one-way, 5-6 hours out-and-back
- Elevation Gain: 662 meters
- Elevation Loss: 69 meters
- Difficulty: Moderate/Moderately Difficult
- Minimum Elevation: 1836 m
- Maximum Elevation: 2498 m
- Trails: 7, 2
- Where to Stay: We recommend staying on the Alpe di Siusi Plateau (close to Compaccio), or the village of Siusi allo Sciliar/Sëuc/Seis am Schlern. Find accommodation on Alpe di Siusi.
Compaccio to Rifugio Alpe di Tires Hiking Map
When can you hike to Rifugio Alpe di Tires
Rifugio Alpe di Tires is usually open from mid-June until mid-October. Check the Rifugio Alpe di Tires website for exact dates.
How to Get to Compaccio
We recommend taking the Alpe di Siusi Aerial gondola (Seiseralmbahn in German) from the village of Siusi allo Sciliar/Sëuc/Seis am Schlern to Compaccio/Compatsch.
- Valley Station Address: Via Sciliar, 39, 39040 Siusi BZ, Italy
- Parking: There is a free parking lot at the valley station of the Alpe di Siusi Aerial Cableway.
- Summer Season: Late May – Late October/Early November (see summer timetable)
- Adult Pricing: 13 EUR (single ride), 19 EUR (round trip)
Compaccio to Rifugio Alpe di Tires Trail Description
From Compaccio, follow trail 7 and then trail 2 to the Panorama restaurant (2009 meters). From Panorama, continue following trail 2 across the Alpe di Siusi meadows. The trail steadily ascends in the direction of the Denti di Terrarossa/Rosszähne (“horse teeth”) peaks of Sciliar/Schlern.
Trail 2 becomes increasingly more steep as you approach the Forcella Denti di Terrarossa/Rosszahn scharte, a wind gap/notch in the Denti di Terrarossa ridge. After conquering a series of switchbacks, you’ll crest the notch. From here, head right. It’s an easy 10-minute descent to the red-roofed Rifugio Alpe di Tires.
The food at Tierser Alpl is excellent. They specialize in South Tyrolean cuisine with a Mediterranean influence. Enjoy a long, leisurely lunch here, before hiking back down to Alpe di Siusi.
To return to Alpe di Siusi, either follow the route you ascended, or hike down via Rifugio Molignon/Mahlknecht Hütte (2054 m) along trails 4, 8, and 7.
Overnighting in Rifugio Alpe di Tires
- Elevation: 2,440 meters
- Rooms: There are dormitory rooms (for 8, 10, or 12 persons) and private rooms (for 2, 3, 4, or 6 persons).
- Showers: Hot showers are available for a small fee.
- Washrooms/Bathrooms: Shared
- Reservation: Needed. Book in advance.
Another option you have is to stay the night in, which is what we did. The natural beauty that envelops this remote hut is astounding. And, if you’re like us, once you arrive, you won’t want to leave. This family-owned mountain refuge was renovated in 2015, resulting in a stunning modern interior.
Rifugio Alpe di Tires is very well managed, so you can expect excellent service. However, the best reward is the cuisine that awaits you. All food is prepared in the hut. They source their ingredients from nearby farms and the surrounding area. Breakfast is included in the accommodation price. For dinner, you can choose between a three-course “Halbpension Karte” menu, or order a la carte. Everything we sampled was delicious.
Read Next: How to Visit Alpe di Siusi
Where to Stay
- Hotel Goldknopf
- Hotel Steger-Dellai (15-minute walk from Compatsch). Excellent location for multiple hikes on Alpe di Siusi.
For more Dolomites tips, follow us on Instagram @moonhoneytravelers
Plan your trip to the Dolomites:
- Dolomites Travel Guide
- Best Things to Do in the Dolomites
- Best Places to Visit in the Dolomites
- 7-Day Dolomites Road Trip Itinerary
- Best Day Hikes in the Dolomites
Where to Stay in the Dolomites:
When to Visit the Dolomites:
Top Places to Visit in the Dolomites: