Ventana del Nublo (Nublo Window) is a natural arch in Parque Rural del Nublo in Gran Canaria, through which you can see Roque Nublo and its stunning surroundings.
In 30 minutes, you can hike to this viewpoint from the Bailico camping area, just off the GC-600 road. This trail is easy-to-follow and well-signed.
If you’re craving a longer hike, you can visit the Nublo Window on the Cruz Grande to Pico de las Nieves hike.
It’s worth noting that there’s also another natural arch, called the Gañifa window, near Pico de las Nieves, which is also referred to as the El Nublo Window.
Ventana del Nublo Viewpoint Hike
- Trailhead: Bailico
- Distance: 2.6 km out-and-back
- Time needed: 50 min – 1 hour
- Elevation Gain/Loss: 125 meters ascending/descending
- Difficulty: Easy
- Minimum Elevation: 1651 meters
- Maximum Elevation: 1723 meters
- When to Hike: all-year-round, ideally between November and May.
- Where to Stay: Parador de Cruz de Tejeda (hotel) in Cruz de Tejeda, Hotel Rural Fonda De La Tea (B&B) or Vivienda Vacacional La Portada (apartment) in Tejeda.
- Recommended Hiking Map: Freytag & Berndt WKE 5 Gran Canaria
- Recommended Hiking Guidebook: Rother: Gran Canaria
This post links to products and services we love, which we may make a small commission from, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting our blog!! – Sabrina and Kati
Nublo Window Trail Map
Where to Start the Ventana del Nublo Hike
Área Recreativa de Bailico
Bailico is an outdoor recreation area off of the GC-600 road between Llanos de la Pez (recreation area) and Mirador Presa de Los Hornos (viewpoint) in Central Gran Canaria.
This is the fastest ascent route to Ventana del Nublo.
When we visited, the Bailico recreation area was fenced-off, but you could still park at the trailhead.
It’s easy to miss the turn-off to the somewhat hidden Bailico parking area.
Exact Location of Turn-Off: Google Maps
If you’re driving from Llanos de la Pez in the direction of Mirador Presa de Los Hornos and La Goleta, keep your eyes out for a dirt road on the left-side. Follow this road for about 200 meters to the trailhead.
The trailhead is marked with a large Camino de Santiago sign, a Parque Rural del Nublo Sign indicating that motorcycles, bicycles, and trash are prohibited in the park, and a S-50 trail sign.
You can also visit the Ventana del Nublo viewpoint along the Cruz Grande to Pico de las Nieves trail.
This is a gorgeous 15.2 km out-and-back hike which takes about 6 hours to complete.
You can find all the details in our Pico de las Nieves Hiking Guide.
Bailico to Ventana del Nublo Trail Description
Bailico Camping Area to Degollada de Los Hornos (13 minutes)
Follow Trail S-50 in the direction of Cruz Grande and Tunte.
At first, you’ll walk along a wide and shady forest trail, rimmed with silvery yellow broom (Teline microphylla).
After five minutes, the trail, now cobbled, ascends gently. Views open up to a volcanic landscape, studded with canary pine.
You’ll spot Roque Nublo before arriving at the Degollada de los Hornos trail junction.
Degollada de Los Hornos to Ventana del Nublo (13 minutes)
Follow the sign to Ventana del Nublo, 1 km.
The forest path descends to another signed intersection.
Here, you’ll turn right to Ventana de Nublo, now signed .2 km.
An undulating path weaves through pines and emerges on a rocky plateau, scattered with volcanic rock.
Walk to the natural arch and enjoy the framed view of Roque Nublo.
Ventana del Nublo to Bailico
Return to Bailico along the same trail.
Read Next: Best Day Hikes in Gran Canaria
Where to Stay near Ventana del Nublo
Cruz de Tejeda
Cruz de Tejeda (1514 m) is a small hamlet situated on the crossroads of GC-150 and GC-15, high above the town center of Tejeda. Cruz de Tejeda serves as a viewpoint, pit stop, and trailhead.
Multiple hiking trails start here, including the Cuevas del Caballero Caves hike, Cruz de Tejeda to La Culata Circuit, and the hike to Tejeda. With its advantageous location and close proximity to other trailheads (Degollada de Becerra, Llano de la Pez, Degollada de la Goleta, and even Cruz Grande), Cruz de Tejeda is an ideal base for hiking.
Luxury | Parador de Cruz de Tejeda is an iconic mountainside hotel overlooking the Tejeda basin. Stay here for the sweeping views of the Tejeda basin and the comfortable rooms with balconies. The cherry on top is the on-site spa and the infinity pool spilling out towards the caldera. If you stay here, make a reservation for the spa in advance.
Situated on the eastern edge of the caldera de Tejeda (volcanic crater of Tejeda), the white-washed town of Tejeda (1050 m) is arguably the most beautiful town on the island. The town center is home to a famous bakery, Dulcería Nublo, an artisan gelateria, Heladería LaLexe, the upscale canary restaurant and brewery Texeda, as well as a number of other eateries.
Midrange | Hotel Rural Fonda De La Tea is a welcoming bed and breakfast in the town center of Tejeda. Guests love the mountain views, the friendly service, overall cleanlieness, and the private terrace.
Budget-Midrange | Vivienda Vacacional La Portada is a top-rated, spotless apartment in the heart of Tejeda with a well-equipped kitchen and terrace facing Roque Nublo and Roque Bentayga.
Gran Canaria Hiking Essentials
- Hiking Backpack: Osprey Tempest 30 Women’s Backpack / Osprey Talon 33 Men’s Backpack
- Grade B/C high-cut hiking boots: Meindl Schuhe Island Lady (Kati’s Boots), Women’s Hanwag Tatra II GTX (Sabrina’s Boots), Men’s Hanwag Tatra II GTX (men’s equivalent)
- Hiking Poles (Optional): Black Diamond Trail Trekking Poles
- Polarized, CAT 4 Sunglasses: Julbo Shield Mountain Sunglasses
- Camera Body: Sony Alpha a6400
- Mid-range Zoom Lens: Sony Vario-Tessar 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS ZEISS
- Wide angle Zoom Lens: Sony – E 10-18mm F4 OSS Wide-angle Zoom Lens
- Backpack Camera Clip: Peak Design Camera Clip
Gran Canaria Guidebooks
If you thought this post was helpful, follow us on Instagram @moonhoneytravelers
- Cruz Grande to Pico de las Nieves
- Cruz de Tejeda – La Culata Circuit
- Cruz de Tejeda to Cuevas del Caballero
- Playa de Guayedra
- San Pedro to Puerto de las Nieves Hike
- Agaete Valley to Tamadaba Natural Park Circuit Hike
More Places to Visit in Gran Canaria: