Roque Faneque is a panoramic cliff in Tamada Natural Park, a Unesco Biosphere Reserve, in Gran Canaria. A quick and easy out-and-back hike descends from Casa Forestal de Tamadaba to the Roque Faneque viewpoint in 1 hour.
This is a fantastic excursion for hikers wanting to sample the beauty of the Tamadaba pine forest and those seeking a bird’s-eye view of the rugged west coast of Gran Canaria and the Atlantic Ocean.
On clear days, views extend to Puerto de las Nieves, Agaete, and Gáldar. The trail is signed and sporadically waymarked.
How to Get to Roque Faneque in Gran Canaria
- Trailhead: Casa Forestal de Tamadaba. Exact location: Google Maps
- Distance: 4.8 km out-and-back
- Time needed: 2 hours
- Elevation Gain/Loss: 324 meters ascending/descending
- Difficulty: Easy – Moderate
- Minimum Elevation: 955 meters
- Maximum Elevation: 1279 meters
- When to Hike: all-year-round, ideally between November and May.
- Where to Stay: Parador de Cruz de Tejeda (hotel) in Cruz de Tejeda, Hotel Rural Fonda De La Tea (B&B) or Vivienda Vacacional La Portada (apartment) in Tejeda.
- Recommended Hiking Map: Freytag & Berndt WKE 5 Gran Canaria
- Recommended Hiking Guidebook: Rother: Gran Canaria
This post links to products and services we love, which we may make a small commission from, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting our blog!! – Sabrina and Kati
Roque Faneque Hiking Map
Where to Start the Roque Faneque Hike
Casa Forestal de Tamadaba
Casa Forestal is a forest house in Tamadaba Natural Park, located along the GC-216.
This destination is only accessible by car.
On the GC-216, you’ll first pass the Mirador del Sargento viewpoint (the starting point of the Alta Vista hike).
About 2.8 km later, the GC-216 becomes a one-way road. Continue right. Ignore the turn-off to the Llanos de la Mimbre camping area and the Área Recreativa Tamadaba (picnic area). Soon you’ll see two yellow buildings along the road. Park here.
The best place to base yourself for this hike is Tejeda, or Agaete. Artenara is the closest town, but Tejeda is a far better base.
- Artenara to Casa Forestal | 10 minutes, 11.4 km, Google Maps
- Tejeda to Casa Forestal | 34 minutes, 18.8 km, Google Maps
- Agaete to Casa Forestal | 1:11 hrs, 41 km, Google Maps
Read Next: Best Hikes in Gran Canaria
Roque Faneque Trail Description
Casa Foresta – Lomo del Zapatero – Lomo Faneque (40 minutes)
The first visible trail signs are located along the road, just past the buildings. Follow SL-3 to Faneque, signed 2.5 km.
Follow the paved GC-216 road for about 100 meters, until the hiking trail dips down on the right side. There are more signs here.
The soft and level forest path runs parallel to the road. After 4 minutes, you’ll arrive at the Lomo del Zapatero signed trail junction (1256 m).
Continue in the direction of Faneque, now signed 2 km.
Keep your eyes out for a trail marker: short wooden pole with a yellow stripe.
Before reaching the Cueva de Zapatero cave, the trail makes a sharp right. It’s easy to miss this right-turn, because the wide path continues straight to the cave.
Amidst beautiful Canary Island pine trees, the trail descends.
Another trail sign indicates the direction to Faneque. On clear days, you’ll begin to see the west coast and the port of Agaete, Puerto de las Nieves.
The path descends to Lomo Faneque (967 m). Continue right in the direction of Morro de las Lechugas, 0.4 km.
Lomo Faneque to Roque Faneque Viewpoint (15 minutes)
After bearing right in the direction of Morro de las Lechugas, the trail splits. Stay on the right lower track.
Now level, the path continues below the spine of Roque Faneque to a few viewpoints.
The final viewpoint is marked with a white obelisk-shaped trail marker.
Roque Faneque to Casa Forestal de Tamadaba (45 min – 1 hour)
From the viewpoint, you can take the same track back to the Lomo Faneque trail junction. Or, you can follow the higher path that leads along the spine of the mountain.
Drop down to the Lomo Faneque intersection, and then ascend to Casa Forestal along the same trail.
Where to Stay
Cruz de Tejeda
Cruz de Tejeda (1514 m) is a small hamlet situated on the crossroads of GC-150 and GC-15, high above the town center of Tejeda. Cruz de Tejeda serves as a viewpoint, pit stop, and trailhead.
Multiple hiking trails start here, including the Cuevas del Caballero Caves hike, Cruz de Tejeda to La Culata Circuit, and the Cruz de Tejeda to Tejeda trail. With its advantageous location and close proximity to other trailheads (Degollada de Becerra, Llano de la Pez, Degollada de la Goleta, and even Cruz Grande), Cruz de Tejeda is an ideal base for hiking. Nearby hikes: Pico de las Nieves (peak), Ventana del Nublo (natural arch), and Roque Nublo (volcanic rock).
Luxury | Parador de Cruz de Tejeda is an iconic mountainside hotel overlooking the Tejeda basin. Stay here for the sweeping views of the Tejeda basin and the comfortable rooms with balconies. The cherry on top is the on-site spa and the infinity pool spilling out towards the caldera. If you stay here, make a reservation for the spa in advance.
Situated on the eastern edge of the caldera de Tejeda (volcanic crater of Tejeda), the white-washed town of Tejeda (1050 m) is arguably the most beautiful town on the island. The town center is home to a famous bakery, Dulcería Nublo, an artisan gelateria, Heladería LaLexe, the upscale canary restaurant and brewery Texeda, as well as a number of other eateries.
Midrange | Hotel Rural Fonda De La Tea is a welcoming bed and breakfast in the town center of Tejeda. Guests love the mountain views, the friendly service, overall cleanlieness, and the private terrace.
Budget-Midrange | Vivienda Vacacional La Portada is a top-rated, spotless apartment in the heart of Tejeda with a well-equipped kitchen and terrace facing Roque Nublo and Roque Bentayga.
Gran Canaria Hiking Essentials
- Hiking Backpack: Osprey Tempest 30 Women’s Backpack / Osprey Talon 33 Men’s Backpack
- Grade B/C high-cut hiking boots: Meindl Schuhe Island Lady (Kati’s Boots), Women’s Hanwag Tatra II GTX (Sabrina’s Boots), Men’s Hanwag Tatra II GTX (men’s equivalent)
- Hiking Poles (Optional): Black Diamond Trail Trekking Poles
- Polarized, CAT 4 Sunglasses: Julbo Shield Mountain Sunglasses
- Camera Body: Sony Alpha a6400
- Mid-range Zoom Lens: Sony Vario-Tessar 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS ZEISS
- Wide angle Zoom Lens: Sony – E 10-18mm F4 OSS Wide-angle Zoom Lens
- Backpack Camera Clip: Peak Design Camera Clip
Gran Canaria Guidebooks
If you thought this post was helpful, follow us on Instagram @moonhoneytravelers
Gran Canaria Hiking Trails
Gran Canaria Beaches
Agaete, Gran Canaria: