Roque Faneque is a panoramic cliff in Tamada Natural Park, a Unesco Biosphere Reserve, in Gran Canaria. A quick and easy out-and-back hike descends from Casa Forestal de Tamadaba to the Roque Faneque viewpoint in 1 hour.
This is a fantastic excursion for hikers wanting to sample the beauty of the Tamadaba pine forest and those seeking a bird’s-eye view of the rugged west coast of Gran Canaria and the Atlantic Ocean.
On clear days, views extend to Puerto de las Nieves, Agaete, and Gáldar. The trail is signed and sporadically waymarked.
How to Get to Roque Faneque in Gran Canaria
- Trailhead: Casa Forestal de Tamadaba. Exact location: Google Maps
- Distance: 4.8 km out-and-back
- Time Needed: 2 hours
- Elevation Gain/Loss: 324 meters ascending/descending
- Difficulty: Easy – Moderate
- Minimum Elevation: 955 meters
- Maximum Elevation: 1279 meters
- When to Hike: all-year-round, ideally between November and May.
- Where to Stay in Cruz de Tejeda: Parador de Cruz de Tejeda (hotel)
- Where to Stay in Tejeda: Calma Suites Tejeda (modern apartments), Hotel Rural Fonda De La Tea (B&B) or Vivienda Vacacional La Portada (apartment)
- Recommended Hiking Map: Freytag & Berndt WKE 5 Gran Canaria
- Recommended Hiking Guidebook: Rother: Gran Canaria
- Recommended Itinerary: 7-Day Gran Canaria Road Trip
This post links to products and services we love, which we may make a small commission from, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting our blog!! – Sabrina and Kati
Roque Faneque Hiking Map
Where to Start the Roque Faneque Hike
Casa Forestal de Tamadaba
Casa Forestal is a forest house in Tamadaba Natural Park, located along the GC-216.
This destination is only accessible by car.
On the GC-216, you’ll first pass the Mirador del Sargento viewpoint (the starting point of the Alta Vista hike).
About 2.8 km later, the GC-216 becomes a one-way road. Continue right. Ignore the turn-off to the Llanos de la Mimbre camping area and the Área Recreativa Tamadaba (picnic area). Soon you’ll see two yellow buildings along the road. Park here.
The best place to base yourself for this hike is Tejeda, or Agaete. Artenara is the closest town, but Tejeda is a far better base.
- Artenara to Casa Forestal | 10 minutes, 11.4 km, Google Maps
- Tejeda to Casa Forestal | 34 minutes, 18.8 km, Google Maps
- Agaete to Casa Forestal | 1:11 hrs, 41 km, Google Maps
Read Next: Best Hikes in Gran Canaria
Roque Faneque Trail Description
Casa Foresta – Lomo del Zapatero – Lomo Faneque (40 minutes)
The first visible trail signs are located along the road, just past the buildings. Follow SL-3 to Faneque, signed 2.5 km.
Follow the paved GC-216 road for about 100 meters, until the hiking trail dips down on the right side. There are more signs here.
The soft and level forest path runs parallel to the road. After 4 minutes, you’ll arrive at the Lomo del Zapatero signed trail junction (1256 m).
Continue in the direction of Faneque, now signed 2 km.
Keep your eyes out for a trail marker: short wooden pole with a yellow stripe.
Before reaching the Cueva de Zapatero cave, the trail makes a sharp right. It’s easy to miss this right-turn, because the wide path continues straight to the cave.
Amidst beautiful Canary Island pine trees, the trail descends.
Another trail sign indicates the direction to Faneque. On clear days, you’ll begin to see the west coast and the port of Agaete, Puerto de las Nieves.
The path descends to Lomo Faneque (967 m). Continue right in the direction of Morro de las Lechugas, 0.4 km.
Lomo Faneque to Roque Faneque Viewpoint (15 minutes)
After bearing right in the direction of Morro de las Lechugas, the trail splits. Stay on the right lower track.
Now level, the path continues below the spine of Roque Faneque to a few viewpoints.
The final viewpoint is marked with a white obelisk-shaped trail marker.
Roque Faneque to Casa Forestal de Tamadaba (45 min – 1 hour)
From the viewpoint, you can take the same track back to the Lomo Faneque trail junction. Or, you can follow the higher path that leads along the spine of the mountain.
Drop down to the Lomo Faneque intersection, and then ascend to Casa Forestal along the same trail.
Where to Stay
Cruz de Tejeda
Cruz de Tejeda (1514 m) is a small hamlet situated on the crossroads of GC-150 and GC-15, high above the town center of Tejeda. Cruz de Tejeda serves as a viewpoint, pit stop, and trailhead.
Multiple hiking trails start here, including the Cuevas del Caballero Caves hike, Cruz de Tejeda to La Culata Circuit, and the Cruz de Tejeda to Tejeda trail. With its advantageous location and close proximity to other trailheads (Degollada de Becerra, Llano de la Pez, Degollada de la Goleta, and even Cruz Grande), Cruz de Tejeda is an ideal base for hiking. Nearby hikes: Pico de las Nieves (peak), Ventana del Nublo (natural arch), and Roque Nublo (volcanic rock).
Luxury | Parador de Cruz de Tejeda is an iconic mountainside hotel overlooking the Tejeda basin. Stay here for the sweeping views of the Tejeda basin and the comfortable rooms with balconies. The cherry on top is the on-site spa and the infinity pool spilling out towards the caldera. If you stay here, make a reservation for the spa in advance.
Situated on the eastern edge of the caldera de Tejeda (volcanic crater of Tejeda), the white-washed town of Tejeda (1050 m) is arguably the most beautiful town on the island. The town center is home to a famous bakery, Dulcería Nublo, an artisan gelateria, Heladería LaLexe, the upscale canary restaurant and brewery Texeda, as well as a number of other eateries.
Best Choice – Midrange | The modern and stylish apartments of Calma Suites Tejeda are outfitted with fully equipped kitchens and parquet floors. There’s free on-site parking.
Midrange | Hotel Rural Fonda De La Tea is a welcoming bed and breakfast in the town center of Tejeda. Guests love the mountain views, the friendly service, overall cleanliness, and the private terrace.
Budget-Midrange | Vivienda Vacacional La Portada is a top-rated, spotless apartment in the heart of Tejeda with a well-equipped kitchen and terrace facing Roque Nublo and Roque Bentayga.
Gran Canaria Hiking & Travel Essentials
The most efficient way to travel between hiking destinations in Gran Canaria is with your own car. To access the best hiking areas on the island, follow this 7-Day Gran Canaria Road Trip.
We recommend using the Discovercars.com car rental reservation platform to search for and book car rentals. This easy-to-use booking platform compares car rental deals from 500+ trusted providers, so that you can choose the best option for your trip.
Tip: If you can only drive automatic transmission cars, as opposed to manual transmission cars (stick shift), book your car rental as early as possible.
Gran Canaria Guidebooks
- Travel Guidebook: DK Eyewitness Top 10 Gran Canaria
- Travel Guidebook: Gran Canaria Marco Polo Pocket Guide
- Hiking Guidebook: Cicerone: Walking on Gran Canaria
- Hiking Guidebook: Rother: Gran Canaria
Guided Adventures in Gran Canaria
South Gran Canaria:
- From Bahía Feliz, close to Maspalomas: Cliff Climbing Via Ferrata Trip
- From Playa del Inglés: Surfing Class for Beginners
- From Puerto de Mogan: Boat and Snorkeling Trip
- From Puerto Rico: Scuba Diving for Beginners
- From Puerto Rico: Dolphin Watching & Güi Güi Beach by Boat
- From Playa del Inglés to Mogan: Scuba Diving for Beginners
Las Palmas and North Gran Canaria:
- From Telda: Canyoning Trip
- From Las Palmas: Las Canteras Beach 3-Hour Snorkeling Trip
- From Las Palmas: Canteras Beach: Scuba Diving Discovery Tour
Hiking Gear Packing List
- Day Pack: Osprey Tempest 30 Women’s Backpack / Osprey Talon 33 Men’s Backpack
- Hiking Backpack: Osprey Tempest 30 Women’s Backpack / Osprey Talon 33 Men’s Backpack
- Grade B or B/C Hiking Boots: Meindl Schuhe Island Lady (Kati’s Boots), Women’s Hanwag Tatra II GTX (Sabrina’s Boots), Men’s Hanwag Tatra II GTX (men’s equivalent)
- Hiking Poles (Optional): Black Diamond Trail Trekking Poles
- CAT 4 Sunglasses: Julbo Shield Mountain Sunglasses
- Reusable Water Bottle: Ion 1 Litre Water Bottle
Travel Photography Gear
If you thought this post was helpful, follow us on Instagram @moonhoneytravelers
More Gran Canaria and Spain Travel Guides
Tejeda is one of the best places to stay if you want to explore the rugged mountains of the interior. Check out these hiking trails around Tejeda:
- Pico de las Nieves Hike
- Cruz de Tejeda – La Culata Circuit
- Cruz de Tejeda to Cuevas del Caballero
- Ventana del Nublo Viewpoint Hike
Agaete and Tamadaba Natural Park, Northwest Gran Canaria is one of the most spectacular places to hike in Gran Canaria. Check out these trail guides:
- Playa de Guayedra
- San Pedro to Puerto de las Nieves Hike
- Agaete Valley to Tamadaba Natural Park Circuit Hike
Gran Canaria Trip Planning: Read all our articles about Gran Canaria.
Tenerife: Plan a trip to Tenerife using this Tenerife Road Trip Itinerary and these guides:
- Hiking Tenerife: Best Hikes in the Tenerife Mountains
- Where to Stay in Tenerife for Hiking
- Tenerife in January
- How to Visit Anaga Rural Park
- How to Visit Teide National Park
Mallorca Trip Planning: Read Where to Stay in Mallorca for a summary of the most scenic destinations and best accommodations on the island. If you’re eager to see the best parts of the island, we suggest following this 7-Day Mallorca Road Trip.
Hiking in Mallorca: For tips on hiking in Mallorca, read Best Hikes in Mallorca.