Berlin High Trail, Zillertal Alps Trek
The Berlin High Trail (Berliner Höhenweg, or Zillertaler Runde in German) is a hut-to-hut hiking trail in Tyrol, Austria. This gorgeous alpine route showcases the finest alpine and glacier vistas of the Zillertal Alps. It’s an extraordinary adventure replete with challenging ascents and descents, rustic and grand mountain huts, and unforgettable glacier and lake views.
This trail is best undertaken by experienced hikers, as there are some difficult passages along the route and some demanding descents.
The traditional Berlin High Trail is an 8-day trek. Upon the recommendation of the Zillertal Tourism Board, we started the trek at Schlegeisspeicher (Schlegeis Reservoir) instead of Finkenberg. Because of dangerous weather conditions, we had to descend early. So, we concluded the Berlin Höhenweg in Stilluptal Valley, instead of Mayrhofen. You can customize your Berliner High Trail trek to your own timeframe and needs, starting and ending wherever you want.
Which Direction Should I Hike the Berlin High Trail
You can hike the Berlin High Trail in either direction.
The Classic Berlin High Trail
- Day 1: Finkenberg – Gamshütte (3 hours, 7.6 km)
- Day 2: Gamshütte – Friesenberghaus (9 hours, 14 km)
- Day 3: Friesenberghaus – Furtschaglhaus (5 hours, 13.8 km)
- Day 4: Furtschaglhaus – Berliner Hütte (6:30 hours, 8 km)
- Day 5: Berliner Hütte – Greizer Hütte (6:30 hours, 8,8 km)
- Day 6: Greizer Hütte – Kasseler Hütte (6 hours, 9,4 km)
- Day 7: Kasseler Hütte – Karl-von-Edel Hütte (9 hours, 12,6 km)
- Day 8: Karl-von-Edel Hütte – Mayrhofen (1 hour, 7 km)
The classic Berlin High Trail is 8 stages. Stages 2 and 7 are extremely long, challenging and only possible in good weather conditions. That’s why we choose the following, shortened route.
Berlin High Trail 5 Day Hut to Hut Hiking Route
- Day 1: (Mayrhofen) – Schlegeisspeicher – Friesenberghaus – Olpererhütte (5 hours, 10.6 km)
- Day 2: Olpererhütte – Furtschaglhaus (5.5 hours, 13.1 km)
- Day 3: Furtschaglhaus – Berliner Hütte (6.5 hours, 8 km)
- Day 4: Berliner Hütte – Greizer Hütte (6.5 hours, 8.8 km)
- Day 5: Greizer Hütte – Kasseler Hütte (6 hours, 9.4 km) / Greizer Hütte – Grüne Wand Hütte (5 hours, 7 km)
Important: Due to the ongoing pandemic, Austrian hut visitors must adhere to new safety rules and regulations. Here’s a summary of the current rules.