The Path of the Larches is a short scenic trail between the Rü farm and the Rudiferia farm, above San Cassiano/Sankt Kassian in Alta Badia, Italy.
This delightful Dolomites walking trail is a perfect excursion on arrival and departure days, or when you don’t have a lot of time. It’s also something you can do all year round. We hiked here after a heavy snowstorm and it was enchanting.
Related: Best Day Hikes in the Dolomites
Path of the Larches, Alta Badia
- Trailhead: San Cassiano village center, Alta Badia, South Tyrol
- Distance: 5.8 km out-and-back
- Time Needed: 1:30 – 2:00 hours
- Elevation Gain/Loss: 255 meters ascending/descending
- Difficulty: Easy
- Trails: 15/15A
- Route: San Cassiano – Rü – Rudiferia – San Cassiano
- Where to Stay: Camping Sass Dlacia (budget), Ciasa Milandura (budget), Hotel Conturines (midrange), Lagació Hotel Mountain Residence (luxury apartments), or Hotel Fanes in San Cassiano
This post links to products and services we love, which we may make a small commission from, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting our blog!! – Sabrina and Kati
Path of the Larches Hiking Map
Path of the Larches Trail Description
San Cassiano Village Center to Rü (30 minutes)
The Path of the Larches (Tru di lersc) trail begins in Rü, a farmstead above San Cassiano.
From the village center, locate the tourist office and then walk to the San Cassiano Church. Follow the Strada Micurá de Rü/Strass Soplá road (trail 15/15A) uphill to the Lüch Da Pćëi Laden dairy farm and store.
After passing the dairy shop, continue following the road up to Rü. As you ascend, the Lavarela and Conturines peaks dominate your view.
Rü to Rudiferia (20 minutes)
At Rü, turn left onto Path of the Larches in the direction of La Crusc. The larch-lined trail runs along the border of the Fanes-Sennes-Prags Nature Park, steadily descending the whole time. The village of La Villa at the foot of the Puez Group is visible ahead.
Rudiferia to San Cassiano (45 minutes)
At Rudiferia, turn around and head back the way you came. When you reach an intersection, head right. This is the direct route to San Cassiano via Larijëi Farm. If you go left, you’ll follow the same trail back to Rü. After passing the Larijëi Farm, descend along Strada Soplá (the road you came up) to San Cassiano.
Read Next: Alta Badia Summer Guide
Where to Stay Alta Badia
San Cassiano (St. Kassian) is a high-alpine village in Alta Badia between La Villa and Falzarego Pass, the gateway to the Ampezzo Dolomites and Cortina d’Ampezzo. This is an excellent base for exploring the Fanes Group and the Pralongià High Plateau.
Budget | Camping Sass Dlacia is the highest campground in the Dolomites, located 3.8 km away from San Cassiano village, at the entrance to the Fannes-Sennes-Prags Nature Park. If you’re not camping, you can also stay in their guesthouse apartments, Üties (wooden huts), and chalet. The location couldn’t be better, because the campground and guesthouse are surrounded by pine forest at the foot of Sass Dlacia. During your stay, you can hike to Rifugio Lavarella and Rifugio Fanes, summit Piz Dde Lavarla and Piz dles Conturines, hike to Rifugio Pralongià, and Pico Setsas. Don’t leave here without eating at their pizzeria and relaxing in their Natura Wellness sauna area.
Midrange | Hotel Conturines is a very welcoming hotel in the heart of the pedestrian zone of San Cassiano, offering comfortable rooms, high-quality breakfasts and dinners, and a small spa area.
Midrange | Garnì Ciasa Ai Pini is a traditional bed and breakfast, located 2 km from the San Cassiano village center. Guests enjoy the spacious rooms, wellness area, scenic surroundings, and friendly staff. In winter, you can ski directly to the hotel.
Luxury | Hotel Fanes is a stand-out 5-star hotel in San Cassiano, which spoils guests with their two swimming pools (including the adults-only panoramic Sky Pool), extensive spa and wellness area (including 7 saunas), Wellness Pension (breakfast buffet, afternoon homemade cake buffet, and 5-course gourmet dinner). Breakfast and dinner is included in the rate. Winter guests can take advange of the free shuttle service to the Piz Sorega cable car.
The town of Corvara is centrally located in Val Badia at the base of Sassongher mountain, between Colfosco and La Villa. It’s the tourist center of Alta Badia and offers the most in terms of shops, restaurants, and accommodations. Several cableways connect Corvara with the surrounding plateaus like Col Alt Pralongià and mountains like Sella easily accessible.
Midrange | Ciasa De Munt Lifestyle Living strikes just the right balance between urban and the outdoors, with its clean aesthetic, modern elegant lines and location. Guests have access to top-notch wellness facilities, storage lockers, and a washing machine. A fresh breakfast buffet featuring homemade cakes, cold cuts, and eggs is laid out each morning. Take advantage of the mountainside breakfast offering in their Piz Boé Alpine Lounge (2200 meters).
Luxury | Hotel Col Alto is a 4-star hotel in the heart of Corvara. We were impressed by the staff, the design, the extensive wellness facilities, deluxe bedding, and generous breakfast buffet.
Related: Best Hotels in the Dolomites
Dolomites Hiking Essentials
- Day Hiking Backpack: Osprey Tempest 30 Women’s Backpack / Osprey Talon 33 Men’s Backpack
- Grade B/C high-cut hiking boots: Meindl Schuhe Island Lady (Kati’s Boots), Women’s Hanwag Tatra II GTX (Sabrina’s Boots), Men’s Hanwag Tatra II GTX (men’s equivalent)
- Polarized, CAT 4 Sunglasses: Julbo Shield Mountain Sunglasses
- Hiking Poles: Black Diamond Trail Trekking Poles
- Reusable Water Bottle: Ion Leakproof 32 oz Water Bottle
- Climbing Gloves: Black Diamond Half Finger Gloves
- Headlamp: Black Diamond Equipment Spot 350 Headlamp
- Crampons: CAMP USA Inc Chainsen Pro
Outdoor Photography Gear
- Camera Body: Sony Alpha a6400
- Mid-range Zoom Lens: Sony Vario-Tessar 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS ZEISS
- Wide angle Zoom Lens: Sony – E 10-18mm F4 OSS Wide-angle Zoom Lens
- Backpack Camera Clip: Peak Design Camera Clip
- Hiking Guidebook: Cicerone Guide: Shorter Walks in the Dolomites
And while you’re there, connect with us on Pinterest!
If you thought this post was helpful, follow us on Instagram @moonhoneytravelers
Plan your trip to the Dolomites:
- Dolomites Travel Guide
- Best Things to Do in the Dolomites
- Best Places to Visit in the Dolomites
- 7-Day Dolomites Road Trip Itinerary
- Best Day Hikes in the Dolomites
Where to Stay in the Dolomites:
More Hikes in Alta Badia
- Rifugio Puez Day Hike
- Lake Pisciadù Day Hike
- Rifugio Fanes Day Hike
- Armentara Meadows Day Hike
- Sass de Putia Circuit Hike
Villages and Towns in the Dolomites:
Top Places to Visit in the Dolomites: